Position Summary- 7p-7a/ and every other weekend. Non Patient Care Position
The Communication Specialist is solely responsible for dispatching and tracking the Transport vehicles, which includes the helicopter, fixed-wing and ground units. The Communication Specialist is also responsible for coordinating patient transfers and transports from referrals and maintaining ongoing records of the transfers and transports in RightCAD and EPIC. The Communication Specialist connects the referral with the appropriate physician, dispatches the appropriate vehicle, enters the information into the appropriate systems, and assures the safety of the transport team by establishing and maintaining communication.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Through experience, has developed technical knowledge and skills to perform a variety of routine activities
- Understands how own duties relate to others in the team and has an awareness of how the team integrates with others
- Manages own workload by applying an understanding of team priorities; may provide assistance to less experienced colleagues
- Recognizes and solves typical problems that can occur in own work area; evaluates and selects predefined solutions from established operating procedures
- Impacts the performance of own team through the quality of the services or information provided
- Follows standardized procedures and practices and receives regular but moderate supervision and guidance
- Communicates moderately complex technical information in straightforward situations
- The Communication Specialist will work with a multi-disciplinary team of professional and non-professional staff of Children's Medical Center and of referral healthcare organizations to ensure effective communication during the patient transfer and transport process. They are responsible for responding to requests for transfers and transports, collecting pertinent demographic data, determining and contacting appropriate accepting physicians, determining the appropriate transport vehicle, maintaining the transport databases utilizing "real time" data entry, and providing transport crews with all necessary information. They must have organizational and prioritization skills to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment. Must have strong problem solving skills and knowledge of both administrative and medical escalation processes. The position proactively interacts with multiple disciplines to solve, facilitate internal transports and physician consultation. The Communications Specialist will support the Access Center in bed placement functions and will support management of the Access to Children's Subspecialty Services (ACSS) consultation program for community providers. The individual will cross-train as directed to other functions of the Access Center to ensure flexibility in meeting the department's operational responsibilities.
- The Communication Specialist will have excellent interpersonal, listening and communications skills, as they will communicate with referring and accepting physicians, referring and accepting hospital staff, transport team members, and hospital administration.
- The Communication Specialist will act as a leader to provide support, orientation and ongoing mentoring to new members of the Access Center staff, as well as providing key function cross-training. They will provide support and participate in both the Access Center and Transport quality improvement programs. They will provide ongoing assistance with conflict resolution/problem solving within the Access Center. They will actively participate in hospital wide committees or task groups, as needed. They will also provide a strong support to management in the interviewing and evaluation process of potential new staff members.
- The Communication Specialist will provide secondary flight following of aircraft utilized by the Children's Transport Service. They will track, monitor, and document vehicle positions within the prescribed timelines for 100% of the medical transports when they are placed on standby. They will initiate and coordinate Post Accident/Incident Plans (PAIP) and emergency plans as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; additional training beyond high school, required
Licenses & certifications
- EMT Certification or equivalent, required
- Basic Life Support (BLS), required
- Certified Flight Communicator (within 1 year of hire), required
- 1 - 2 years of job related experience, preferred
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message