This role demonstrates advanced knowledge and experience in all phases of project management. The senior project manager functions as a team lead for internal resources and/or as the liaison to the client. Other requirements involve the coaching of team members and the development of a superior ability in specific tools, industries or processes through continuous learning. The senior project manager should also participate in initiatives to assist in meeting the goals of the organization.
Leads multiple small to medium projects and / or large complex projects with responsibility for project plan development, risk management, issue management, project communication, budget tracking, knowledge management, status reporting, team member training, vendor management, and other project related areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Identifies scope and coordinates scope and schedule changes – including impact studies.
- Leads matrixed teams in the development of master plans that model project commitments and timing.
- Assesses project management requirements, while developing and recommending a sound approach/application to meet the needs of the project and client. Ensures that project deliverables satisfy project requirements.
- Coordinates resource usage by increasing or decreasing resources to reflect project requirements.
- Facilitates the creation of communication plans, ensuring that appropriate information is exchanged among key stakeholders. Ensures project communication is effective and timely. Facilitates status review meetings among project team members and clients. Conducts project status meetings. Communicates project vision, goals, and objectives of the project.
- Coordinates Issue/Risk resolution between teams. Communicates issues/problems to the entire team immediately when the impact of waiting/following normal status schedules may adversely affect the project/program. Advises senior management on project management capability and risk. Identifies and recommends contingency measures.
- Determines, monitors and reviews costs, schedules and staffing requirements for cross-functional project teams.
- Maintains and enhances quality through the effective use of standardized project management processes. Improves the quality of the project by providing ideas and suggestions to the team aimed at improving the effectiveness of their role, and of the project/program activities in general. Establishes appropriate metrics for measuring key project criteria.
- Acts independently to lead an organization in the implementation of all aspects of project management. Runs multiple or large complex projects and acts as the customer’s primary contact. Develops and implements project management processes and procedures within large complex organizations.
- Integrates project management methodologies across multiple IT domains.
- Documents and maintains all processes and procedures necessary to the execution of their role, but which are not documented elsewhere.
- Mentors and trains the client, vendor and Children’s personnel in project management methods, procedures and activities.
- Installs appropriate automated systems for management of projects.
- Solves or removes constraints, which create obstacles to productivity of staff.
- Determines, tracks, monitors, and reports on the “health” of the project.
- Closes project out, submitting applicable documentation for archiving.
- Leads by example. Demonstrates integrity, good work ethics, and presents a professional appearance.
- Provides subject matter expertise on project management. Stays current on emerging technologies and project management techniques.
- Is available to answer questions and provide assistance to any and all Project Managers, Project Leads, and others who need help.
- Conducts mentoring activities.
- Actively recruits new employees.
- Provides input to the continuous improvement of the IT. organizations project management method, templates and tools.
- Participates in or leads Project Initiation activities as necessary.
- Bachelors degree preferred or equivalent experience.
Certification and/or License
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Required or PMP acquired within one year of becoming a Senior Project Manager
- Over five years of related project management experience using a defined methodology required.
Specific Skills and Abilities
- Expert knowledge and experience with IT system implementations.
- Expert knowledge of Project and Portfolio Management software.
- Experience in educating multiple constituencies on Project Management methodologies.
- Ability to work independently, as well as interact effectively with peers, management, clinicians, vendors, and department users.
- Must have the ability to act as coach, and mentor to various project staff.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, negotiation skills, interpersonal skills, time / resource management skills, and organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to create and organize, project workplans and schedules, and concurrently plan and track multiple projects involving varied activities and deliverables.
- Must possess strong analytical skills, team building skills, financial analysis skills and strong problem solving and negotiating skills.
- Is able to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; able to use reason, even when dealing with emotional topics; reviews facts and weighs options.
- Must be an expert user of word processing, spreadsheet, database, graphic presentations and project management software.
- Necessary strengths include: Leadership, Executive Management, Program/Project Management, Professional Services, and Customer Service.