The Senior Financial Analyst role expands the traditional analyst role to data analysis, review and often presentation to senior leadership groups. The goal of this position is to support the organization in financial, operational and strategic planning goals. This position exercises a wide degree of creativity and latitude in completion of job duties and problem solving. Persons in this position function in a consultative role, serving as a partner in decision making and problem solving by employing self-initiated and proactive assessments of leadership information needs. Coordinating with the Finance Managers and Directors, this person serves to mentor other Finance staff.
- Requires in-depth professional knowledge and practical/applied expertise in own discipline and basic knowledge of related disciplines within the broader professional field
- Has knowledge of best practices and how own area integrates with others; demonstrates awareness of the industry, including regulatory, evolving customer demands, and the factors that differentiate the organization in the market
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead projects with manageable risks and resource requirements
- Solves complex problems and takes a new perspective on existing solutions; exercises judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information
- Impacts a range of customer, operational, project or service activities within own team and other related teams; works within broad guidelines and policies
- Works independently, receives minimal guidance
- Explains difficult or sensitive information; works to build consensus
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Serves as a key point of contact for customer questions around financial concepts, analyses and information.
- Provides diagnostic research and evaluation of financial, statistical and utilization information. Provides analytical analyses to advance hospital-wide initiatives (5-year plan, budgetary recovery efforts, etc.). Develops internal analytical tools in support of leaders' information requests.
- Works in an independent manner, managing multiple responsibilities at one time.
- Leverages a thorough knowledge of the internal and external data systems that are utilized in the Finance area (currently: Strata, Kronos, Lawson) to conceptualize and execute complex requests, fully understanding what the user intends the report to tell them, what will be the outcome based on the information, and whether the report has a wider audience. Recommends and executes most appropriate and efficient analytical approach. Recognizes requests that should be reconsidered or restructured and works with manager and customer.
- Provides outstanding customer service. Relentlessly seeks to assure understanding of message and meaning, effectively meets deadlines and challenges.
- Assists in the implementation of a formal ongoing financial management education program for operational managers.
- Minimum 3-5 years of related experience required.
- Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required.
- Graduate or professional work or advanced degree; or equivalent experience preferred.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions. Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Sedentary - Exerting up to 10lbs. occasionally or negligible weights frequently; sitting most of the time.