POSITION SUMMARY: PRN shifts
In the Emergency Department, the Sr. Paramedic will work under the delegation and direct supervision of a licensed physician using advanced clinical skills for patients who are classified in the BLS or ALS category. The Sr. Paramedic will provide care to patients under the direction of the medical director to perform functions that support and supplement the health care team. The Sr. Paramedic will have an active role in managing the customer service experience.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform BLS and advanced skills during patient care including, but not limited to: initiation of PIV catheters; priming IV fluids (excluding blood products); naso/oral/pharyngeal suctioning and insertion of NG/OG tubes.
- Assist in emergency situations by initiating BLS and ALS lifesaving skills, assisting with chest compressions.
- Perform documentation of patient care in the electronic medical record per department and hospital guidelines.
- Administer medications per physician order or protocol limited to: antipyretics, topical medications, nebulizer medications, IV solutions without additives; assist RN with IM administration when dose must be divided.
- Apply family and patient centered care to all job aspects and support family during all phases of care.
- Assist in the training and development of new staff to the department. Provides objective feedback to team leader/manager related to progress of new hires.
- Participate in meetings, committees, and maintain all required training.
- In the Emergency Department, assist in the training and development of new staff to the Emergency Department. Provide objective feedback to team leader/manager related to progress of new hires; perform basic and advanced skills in accordance with the ED Paramedic protocols; assist staff with the stabilization of critically ill and injured neonatal and pediatric patients.
- Multiple roles are performed; assist and perform independently with regulatory readiness, inventory of equipment on ambulances and in store rooms; assist in educational activities within Paramedic Services including - new employee orientation, in-service education (internal and external), participate in department committees.
- Minimum of 1 - 2 years of job related experience, required.
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years of job related experience, preferred.
- At least 1 year experience in acute care/emergency setting, preferred
- 1-2 years of pediatric experience, preferred
High school diploma or equivalent required; additional training beyond high school, required.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
LICENSES and CERTIFICATIONS:
- Current Healthcare Provider BLS certification, required.
- Either one of: Texas EMT-P, NRP, NREMT-P or LP licensure certification, required.
- PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) (within 6 months of Hire), required.
- ACLS (Advance Cardiac Life Support) certification (within 6 months of hire), required.