Position Summary- nights
The RCP performs the functions of a respiratory care practitioner in direct care. This position utilizes the respiratory care process in the delivery of developmentally appropriate care and works effectively with members of the health care team, including the family in the provision of care to patients. The incumbent performs the functions of a respiratory care practitioner in direct care and utilizes the respiratory care process in the delivery of developmentally appropriate care.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates competence in professional practice:
- Utilizes established standards of evidence based care to guide practice
- Provides direct patient care including but not limited to: mechanical ventilation, aerosol therapy, pulmonary hygience, suctioning, oxygen therapy, inhaled gases
- Documents patient status, patient response, and respiratory practitioner interventions accurately and clearly
- Provides and reinforces health teaching with patients and families
- Participates in multidisciplinary treatment team
- Preceptor for novice therapists
- Utilizes available resources to impact patient care and solve practice problems
- Practice contributes toward achieving Respiratory Care Mission and Vision Statement
- Utilizes the National Patient Safety Goals to provide a safe environment for patients
- Participates in the development of professional and educational activities:
- Participates in continuing educational opportunities at Children’s
- Supports professional organization of Respiratory Care
- Shares pertinent information gained from professional seminars, conferences, books, or journals.
- Assists in identifying learning needs of staff therapist and other healthcare workers.
- Develops, presents and evaluates programs to meet educational needs of other healthcare workers.
- Is a member of interdisciplinary committee/project/task force when given the opportunity
- Incorporates research to clinical practice:
- Demonstrates knowledge of research and quality improvement activities.
- Reads and evaluates current research that has implications for clinical practice.
- Shares research findings with colleagues in order to improve clinical practice.
- Participates in research and quality improvement activities.
- Two-year Associate's degree or equivalent experience required
- Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred
Licenses & certifications
- BLS, NRP (NICU core), and PALS certification (within 6 months of hire) required
- RRT thru the National Board of Respiratory Care(NBRC) and active Texas licensed required
- RRT-NPS (within 6 months of hire) required
- BLS Instructor for patient educators required
- Asthma Educator for patient educators required
- BLS, NRP, PALS Instructor optional for all others preferred
- NRP optional for all others preferred
- Minimum 2-3 years of job related experience required
- Minimum 2 years critical care experience required
- Graduation from an accredited respiratory care program. required
- RRT required
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Must possess the ability to communicate with others in a clear, understandable and professional manner on the phone and in person; and the demonstrated use of good written and verbal communication skills
- Must possess the ability to interact with peers, executives, patients, families, members of the healthcare team, and other vendors in a manner that represents Children’s positively
- Must possess the ability to maintain regular, reliable and punctual attendance
- Must possess the ability to learn and apply new information, knowledge and experiences in a timely manner
- Must possess the ability to be flexible and adaptable to change
- Must possess the ability to work on multiple tasks and projects and to prioritize
- Must possess assessment and monitoring skills, interpret lab values and have knowledge of respiratory medications. Respond to adverse affects and recommend appropriate treatments.
- Light - Exerting up to 20 lbs. occasionally, 10 lbs. frequently, or negligible amounts constantly and may require walking or standing to a significant degree.