Independently performs the functions of a registered nurse in direct patient care. Utilizes the nursing process in the delivery of developmentally appropriate care. Also works in collaboration with other health care professionals to provide a comprehensive plan of care to meet the patient/family needs.
- Requires experience in own professional discipline to appropriately apply own knowledge; broadens own professional expertise and acquires higher level skills
- Understands key business drivers; uses this understanding to accomplish own work
- No supervisory responsibilities but may provide informal guidance to new team members
- Solves problems in straightforward situations; analyzes possible solutions using professional/technical experience, judgment and precedents
- Impacts quality of own work and the work of others on the team; works within guidelines and policies
- Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction
- Explains complex information to others in straightforward situations
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible and accountable for prescribing, delegating and coordinating patient care. Uses clinical judgment based on nursing skills acquired through formal and informal experiential knowledge and evidence based guidelines to globally assess the patient's situation and through critical thinking and clinical decision making, develop an appropriate plan of care for the patient, with the aim of promoting comfort.
- Accountable that patient care meets standards of safety, effectiveness, patient rights and guest relations.
- Oversees care delivered by patient care team; coordinates plan of care
- Provides education and facilitates learning for patients, families, and patient care team in a way that demonstrates a sensitivity to recognize, appreciate, and incorporate differences related to diversity
- Collaborates with physicians, families and other healthcare professionals to assist in developing and implementing an appropriate plan of care in a way that promotes/encourages each person's contributions towards achieving the best patient outcomes.
- Advocates for the patient, represents the concerns of the patient/family and identifies and assists in resolving ethical and clinical concerns
- Accurately & thoroughly document all patient encounters in EPIC.
- Ensure that Patient Health Information (PHI) is protected and secured at all times.
- Adhere to all infection prevention initiatives (i.e., hand hygiene, proper disposal of waste, etc.)
- Deliver competent and skilled care to patients and familites according to their identified needs.
- Will deliver care with a team-orientation, an emphasis on good customer relations, sound clinical judgement and appropriate decision-making abilities that take into consideration evidence based practice
- Continuously inquires about the condition of the patient through the ongoing process of questioning and evaluating the situation and implements treatment changes, if necessary, through collaboration with the health care team, inclusive of the patient and family.
- Maintains a body of knowledge and tools that allow the nurse to manage whatever environmental and system resources exist for the patient/family, within or across healthcare and non-healthcare systems.
- Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required.
Licenses & certifications
- Current license to practice professional nursing in the State of Texas required
- BLS for Healthcare Providers required
- PEARS/PALS/NRP/ACLS (Department specific requirements) required
- In some service areas, Initial Pediatric Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behaviors (PPMAB) training must be completed within 60 days of hire and renewed annually required
- Minimum 6 months - 1 year of related experience required
- Minimum 1 - 2 years of job related experience preferred
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Bilingual skills a strong plus (Spanish/English)