Performs the functions of a registered nurse in direct patient care in the Heart Center - Cardiac Intensive Care in Dallas, Texas. Utilizes the nursing process in the delivery of developmentally appropriate care. Works effectively with members of the health care team in the provision of care to patients and families. This is a Full-Time, Night position, 7p-7a, rotating weekends.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides competent care for families based on practice patterns which reflect new levels of awareness of suffering, patient/family psychosocial needs, and complexity of clinical judgment.
- Demonstrates effective use of communication skills.
- Participates in the development of professional and educational activities.
- Demonstrates competence in professional practice. Applies nursing research to clinical practice.
- Applies nursing research to clinical practice.
- Assesses and collects data in a comprehensive manner identifying underlying family needs to implement an individualized plan of care.
- Demonstrates competence in the delivery of nursing care.
- Evaluates and revises plan of care based on evolving needs.
- Utilizes problem-solving approaches which compare one situation with another.
- Provides comprehensive, individualized teaching based on identified learning needs of families.
- Communicates in an accurate, objective manner.
- Recognizes and accesses multidisciplinary team members in meeting identified patient/family needs.
- Responds to verbal and nonverbal communication.
- Identifies problems and reports these to appropriate personnel.
- Assists in identifying learning needs of staff nurses and other health care workers.
- Assists in developing strategies to meet identified learning needs.
- Supports and/or maintains membership in a professional organization.
- Shares pertinent information gained from professional seminars, conferences, books, or journals.
- Seeks evaluation of self from peers and clinically advanced professionals to improve professional practice.
- Incorporates unit based goals into nursing process.
- Is a member of a unit based committee/project/task force.
- Utilizes standards to develop plans of care for primary patients.
- Preceptor for novice/beginners.
- Reads and evaluates current nursing research that has implications for clinical practice.
- Modifies own practice based on nursing research and quality improvement findings.
- Evaluates clinical practice to identify problems for potential study.
- Participates in research and/or quality improvement activities.
The organization is moving towards a BSN workforce. Interested candidates should have a BSN or be in the process of obtaining BSN as this will be required of all direct patient care nurses effective 1/1/2021.
Licenses & certifications
Current licenses to practice professional nursing in the State of Texas.
American Heart Association BLS
2+ years of cardiac ICU experience, preferably in pediatrics.
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Ability to hear and communicate with others in a clear, understandable, and professional manner.
- Must be flexible and adaptable. Conditions and environment are unpredictable and change frequently.
- Must be able to maintain CPR certification unless an exception is identified.
- Appearance projects a professional image that engenders the confidence of others.
- This job requires the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to patients ranging in age from 0 to 18 years. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span, must possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and must be able to provide the care needed as described in the unit's policies and procedures.
Physical and emotional health adequate for attendance requirements and performance which may include, but is not limited to: assessment of patient conditions, lifting/transferring patients, appropriate use of technical equipment, and rapid recognition and response to emergency situations.