This position provides overall clinical and operational management in collaboration with the patient care area or service line Director. Provides leadership with specific operational and management oversight of the patient care area(s) or service line. Accountable for the performance and results of a the patient care area(s) or service line. Oversees the execution of short and long term strategies in support of organizational goals pertinent to department. Establishes and ensures compliance with standards of clinical care, as well as maintains accountability for staffing, quality, safety, service and clinical excellence throughout the department. Maintains integral relationships with medical staff leadership. Accountable for the implementation and proper application of policies, programs and services as established by federal and state regulatory bodies. Researches, identifies and implements initiatives and opportunities to improve effectiveness of management, clinical and non-clinical research and patient/family centered care within the department. Provides guidance, coaching, and feedback to team members and coaches team leaders on effective management techniques. Makes employment decisions for the team, utilizing input from team leaders. Monitors quality metrics and changes in practice that impact clinical, financial or operational outcomes and develops plans to address areas for improvement. Monitors and manages a budget for defined area (s) of responsibility. Provides technical guidance to others as needed for non-routine and/or complex problems/situations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Typically manages professional staff and/or team leaders over multiple teams
- Typical span of control: Administrative 8-10, Clinical 10-13, Support Services 11-13; e.g. Admin: Fin, IT, Legal, HR, Public Affairs; Support Services: EVS, Security, Engineering, Food Services.
- Accountable for the performance and results of a team or multiple teams within own discipline
- Adapts unit plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges
- Provides guidance, coaching, and feedback to team leaders on effective management techniques
- Makes employment decisions for the team, seeking direction from more senior leaders on more complex situations
- Decisions are guided by policies, procedures, and functional priorities; receives guidance from a higher-level manager on high-impact decisions
- Monitors quality metrics and changes in practice that impact clinical, financial, or operational outcomes and develops action plans to address areas for improvement
- Provides guidance to others as needed for non-routine and/or complex problems/situations
- Monitors and manages a budget for defined area of responsibility
- Interviews and hires new team leaders and staff members
- Administers annual PEAC's/merit increases for direct reports
- Provides performance feedback to direct reports, including the documenting and counseling of performance issues
- Maintains positive staff relations through Evidence Based Leadership and Just Culture
- Completes scouting reports and weekly rounding on direct reports
- Ensures that direct reports are kept abreast of changes within the unit, department, division, and organization
- Provides mentoring to direct reports and provides them with developmental opportunities that will help them achieve their career goals
- Administers disciplinary action to direct reports when necessary, up to and including termination of employment
- Provides appropriate recognition to direct reports
- Develops and implements Action Plans as a result of the feedback received from the annual Employee Opinion Survey
- Ensures that all staff members in assigned are are responsible and accountable for prescribing, delegating and coordinating patient care. Uses clinical judgment based on nursing skills acquired through formal and informal experiential knowledge and evidence based guidelines to globally assess situations and through critical thinking and clinical decision making, develop an appropriate plan of action to resolve situations that have been escalated.
- Ensures that all staff members are accountable and that patient care meets the standards of safety, effectiveness, patient rights and guest relations
- Ensures that all staff members deliver competent and skilled care to patients and families according to their identified needs and does so with a team-orientation, an emphasis on good customer relations, sound clinical judgment and appropriate decision-making abilities that take into consideration evidence based practice
- Approves mileage and education reimbursements for all assigned staff
- Approves all travel arrangements and expense reimbursements for all assigned staff
- Responsible for ensuring all units or service line have adequate supplies
- Approves Lawson orders
- Submits all Lawson personnel actions for direct reports
- Submits Position Control requests
- Monitors trends with attendance for direct reports and addresses any attendance issues in a timely manner
- Approves PTO requests for direct reports
- Monitors FMLA/STD/LOA for direct reports
- Develops & maintains positive physician relations
- Review and sign off on bi-weekly payroll
- Review NSI Dashboards on a monthly basis, communicate trends to leadership team, and address any areas of concern within assigned areas of responsibility
- Review NRC Picker reports, communicate trends to leadership team, and address any areas of concern within assigned areas of responsibility
- Ensures that budgets are adhered to for area of responsibility
- Collaborates with Operations Business Partner and Director to research and explain variances to the budget for assigned area of responsibility
- Submit capital equipment requests
Regulatory & Quality Compliance:
- Responsible for ensuring clean sweeps are conducted
- Responsible for ensuring that appropriate audits are conducted
- Ensures readiness for disease specific certifications audits (where applicable)
- Ensures regulatory readiness for assigned areas
- Ensures environmental rounds are conducted
- Ensures staff licenses & certifications are current
- Ensures HR file and shadow files are up to date
- Ensure that area of responsibility is ready for tracers and participates in the tracer process as necessary
- Review eSets
- Ensures that Patient Health Information (PHI) is protected and secured at all times
- Adheres to all infection prevention initiatives (i.e., hand hygiene, proper disposal of waste, etc.)
- Oversees staffing to ensure adequate coverage on every shift
- Serves as on-call manager for operations
- May provide direct patient care during high census or Code Yellow
- Conducts family rounding beginning with the initial rollout schedule
- Address patient/family concerns/complaints in a timely fashion
- Update Stoplight Reports on a monthly basis to keep staff informed about progress of addressing concerns brought up through employee rounding.
- Attend required leadership meetings.
- Manage unit or service line-based and department-based projects.
- Oversee unit/department based process improvement projects
- Review and modify Annual staffing plan
- Advocates for the patient, represents the concerns of the patient/family and identifies and assists in resolving ethical and clinical concerns
- Maintains a body of knowledge and tools that allows the incumbent to manage whatever environmental and system resources exist for the patient/family and/or staff, within or across healthcare and non-healthcare systems.
- Collaborates with physicians, families and staff to assist in developing and implementing an appropriate plan of care in a way that promotes/encourages each person's contributions towards achieving the best patient outcomes.
- Provides education and facilitates learning for patients, families, and patient care team in a way that demonstrates a sensitivity to recognize, appreciate, and incorporate differences related to diversity
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing required
- Graduate or professional work or advanced degree; or equivalent experience, preferred
Licenses & certifications
- Current RN license in the State of Texas.
- CPR Certification, required
- PALS/PEARS (Unit specific), required
- In some service areas, Initial Pediatric Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behaviors (PPMAB) training must be completed within 60 days of hire and renewed annually, required
- Minimum 5 - 7 years of relevant experience, required
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Provide feedback, instruction, and development guidance to help others excel in their current or future job responsibilities; plan and support the development of individual skills and abilities.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.