The Pediatric Intensive Care Neuro/Trauma Department Clinical Educator is a professional development specialist whose primary responsibility is to facilitate lifelong learning and professional development activities among clinical staff with an emphasis on ICU nursing. Through the application of adult learning theory and strong instructional design, the Clinical Educator's work results in measureable program outcomes in areas such as new hire orientation, ongoing competency, in-services, continuing education, career development, scholarship/research, and academic partnerships. This is a full-time position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Requires in-depth professional knowledge and practical/applied expertise in own discipline and basic knowledge of related disciplines within the broader professional field
- Has knowledge of best practices and how own area integrates with others; demonstrates awareness of the industry, including regulatory, evolving customer demands, and the factors that differentiate the organization in the market
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead projects with manageable risks and resource requirements
- Solves complex problems and takes a new perspective on existing solutions; exercises judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information
- Impacts a range of customer, operational, project or service activities within own team and other related teams; works within broad guidelines and policies
- Works independently, receives minimal guidance
- Explains difficult or sensitive information; works to build consensus
- Education Responsibilities:
- Assesses learner characteristics and needs in developing educational offerings
- Creates an effective learning environment in both the training and patient care areas
- Implements a variety of teaching strategies based on learning objectives and learner characteristics and needs
- Evaluates the outcomes of staff education
- Applies clinical and learning theories as well as cultural and generational considerations into education development
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of technology in education delivery
- Coordinates orientation of new staff to the organization (as applicable)
- Develops/coordinates education plans related to initial and ongoing competency validation (as applicable)
- Develops/coordinates core education to address patient population specific to the clinical area (as applicable)
- Periodically assists with direct patient care to assess education needs or competency
- Program/Project Management Responsibilities:
- Consistently applies planning methodologies when implementing, facilitating, and evaluating programs and projects
- Plans and implements programs and projects using innovation and creativity
- Designs and implements evaluation plans for programs and projects
- Ensures financial planning and stewardship for programs and projects
- Leadership Responsibilities
- Advocates for educational programs that support the needs of the learner and the organization
- Effectively facilitates group processes
- Implements motivational and influence strategies at the individual, group, program, and organizational levels
- Uses the organizational and/or unit strategic plans and goals to determine educational priorities
- Interprets and uses research and evidence-based practices
- Anticipates and forecasts trends in education and patient care
- Adheres to regulatory agency standards and follows regulatory requirements
- Career Development Responsibilities
- Links clinical staff to professional development and other relevant resources
- Promotes participation in professional organizations
- Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, required
- Graduate or professional work or advanced degree; or equivalent experience, preferred
Licenses & certifications
- Current Texas Nursing License, required
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers, required
- PALS, PEARS, or NRP based on specialty area requirements, required
- National specialty certification appropriate for area(s) of responsibility, preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years of related clinical and/or nursing experience, required
- Documentation of previous teaching experience, preferred
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message. CB#