Performs the functions of a registered nurse in providing care coordination, family health education and direct patient care of children and young adults. Utilizes the nursing process in the delivery of developmentally appropriate and family-centered care. Works effectively with members of the healthcare team and community partners in the provision of care coordination to patients and families.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Has developed proficiency in a wide range of technical processes or procedures through job-related training and considerable on-the-job experience
- Understands the roles of all immediate team members and has a good understanding of how own team integrates with others
- Regularly provides guidance and support to more junior team members on challenging technical problems; helps them balance their workload and apply their technical skills
- Provides solutions to problems in situations that are atypical or occur infrequently based on defined procedures and existing precedents
- Works within defined processes but may develop an appropriate approach for new assignments
- Impacts the quality, timeliness and effectiveness of the team
- Explains complex technical information in situations that may be challenging with respect to controversial subject matter or characteristics of the audience
- This position will have some face to face interaction with families, but will mostly be on the phone.
- Provide competent care for families based on practice patterns which reflect awareness of suffering, patient / family psychosocial needs and complexity of clinical judgment. Demonstrates competence in the delivery of nursing care; recognizing the impact of personal involvement in therapeutic relationships and working with partner agencies and referral sources in assisting with initiating first and follow-up appointments. Uses telehealth tools, accesses / reviews medical records and formalizes assessments to collect data in a comprehensive manner. Identifies underlying child and family needs and assets to assist the healthcare team in developing and implementing an individualized plan of care. Provide on-going education and resource to families. Administers medications as medically indicated to the patients seen in the clinic. The majority of duties will center around coordination of medical care for children hospitalized (consults) or followed in the clinic.
- Collaborates with internal and external resources to ensure comprehensive medical evaluations and follow-up visits are provided to children. Participates in multidisciplinary case staffings / discussions with partner agencies.
- Participates in the development of professional and educational activities. Assist in identifying learning needs of staff nurses and other healthcare workers. Assists in developing strategies to meet identified learning needs. Provides support to the educational programs of the team (grand rounds, hospital training programs, community partner educational programs). Supports and / or maintains membership in a professional organization. Shares pertinent information gained from professional seminars, conferences, books and journals.
- Applies nursing research to clinical proactive. Reads and evaluates current nursing research that has implications for clinical practice. Modifies own practice based on nursing research and quality improvement findings. Evaluates clinical practice to identify problems for potential study. Participates in research and / or quality improvement activities. Participates in REACH team activities including peer review, clinicopathologic conferences and morbidity / mortality conferences.
- Performs other duties and special projects as required.
- Community outreach and development of identified programs.
- Bachelor's of Science Degree in Nursing
Licenses & certifications
- Registered Nurse, current license to practice professional nursing in the state of Texas, required
- BLS CPR, required
- PALS or PEARS certification within six months of hire
- Minimum 1-2 years of related experience required
- Ability to provide care appropriate to patients ranging in age from 0-18 years required
- Effective organizational skills and attention to detail required
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Medium - Exerting 20-60 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. frequently, or up to 10 lbs. constantly..