The incumbent in this position is a staff therapist who participates in the evaluation and treatment of patients based upon current principles of PT. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Children's Medical Center philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direct patient evaluations and re-evaluations, including assessments of prior and current level of functioning, setting appropriate goals and making appropriate discharge recommendations in accordance with standards of practice.
- Provide direct patient treatments according to standards of practice, including patient and family education, progression of treatment plan and implementation of appropriate therapeutic interventions.
- Report on patient progress through appropriate written documentation including evaluation forms, progress notes, education forms and interdisciplinary rounds forms.
- Analyze tasks and adapt the environment, tools, materials, treatments to the needs of patients and their socio-cultural context.
- Conduct appropriate assessment of school or home environment (as appropriate), and identifies equipment needs relative to meet therapy needs and / or increase patient's functional independence.
- Design individual home programs and educate patients, family and ancillary personnel in specific procedure, equipment utilization and home programs.
- Complete safety assessments of patient's home setting and makes recommendations and implements plans to increase safety through use of equipment, supplies or social services.
- Determine appropriateness of patient's response to treatment and consult with physician concerning modification to plan of care.
- Assure all re-evaluations for continuation of care are completed timely to ensure everything possible is completed to prevent a break in service for the patient.
- Interact with all patients, families, customers, visitors and fellow employees in a mature, responsible, courteous manner to ensure a positive and professional environment.
- Coordinate and prioritize own schedule in relation to demands of patient treatment, patient appointments with other professionals and other departmental responsibilities.
- Maintain visit frequency for each patient on caseload to ensure plan of care compliance is met on a monthly basis. Organize patient coverage to meet plan of care compliance measures during vacations, illness, or other scheduling conflict that could result in a break in patient care.
- Collaborate with physicians, patients, family and other members of health care team relative to patient treatment and progress as well as other affiliated agencies with regard to effective discharge planning.
- Identify patient / family needs for other home care services and / or other services provided by the Organization and refers accordingly.
- Attend case conference meetings and interdisciplinary rounds to discuss patient progress and future needs with other professionals involved in care of the patient.
- Attend and participate in departmental meetings, in-services, rounds and peer reviews.
- Participate in continuing education programs or other opportunities for learning for continued professional competency.
- Precept and instruct fellows, interns and other students as indicated.
- Completes all mandatory education and annual requirements (orientation, credentialing requirements, etc) timely to maintain licensure.
- Participate in program development as assigned by Clinical Therapy Manager.
- Maintain working knowledge of regulations pertaining to the various accreditation bodies and regulatory bodies for Home Care agencies and the Organization.
- Search for better ways of doing things by recommending or initiating suggestions for improvements for operations and services.
- Ability to meet physical and non-physical demands as outlined in the job description is an essential function of the job. Assume other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area.
Four-year Bachelor's degree from an accredited Physical Therapy program, required.
Graduate or professional work or advanced degree; or equivalent experience, preferred.
Licenses & certifications
License to practice Physical Therapy in the State of Texas, required.
Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR / BLS Certification, required.
Current Texas Driver's License and automobile insurance, required.
Minimum 1-2 years of job related experience, required.
1-2 years of experience applying physical therapy techniques to pediatric patients, required.
1-2 years of experience in the home care setting, preferred.
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Very Heavy - Exerting over 100 lbs. occasionally, 60-100 lbs. frequently, or up to 20-50 lbs. constantly.