This job is responsible for ensuring the integrity and acceptability of specimens for testing by collecting specimens according to all established procedures and regulatory requirements while providing the best experience to the patient and parents. Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to ensure consistent use of Lean principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements.
- Applies basic technical skills and knowledge of operational processes to perform straightforward and routine activities
- Understands how the assigned duties integrate with others in the team
- Depends on direct supervision to accomplish assigned tasks; accountable for developing own self to enhance contribution
- Uses standard operating procedures to guide own work and solve standard problems; escalates unfamiliar or difficult problems to more experienced colleagues
- Responsible for the accuracy of own work
- Works within clearly defined standard operating procedures or methods and adheres to established quality guidelines
- Recognizes opportunities to provide good customer service and demonstrates courtesy in all interactions; effectively exchanges straightforward information
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Phlebotomy Responsibilities: Perform pediatric phlebotomy (venipuncture, finger stick, and heel stick) according to established procedures. Identify patients and properly label specimen tubes. Determine priority of draws; ensure timely collection of all patient samples. Greet and establish rapport with patient and/or parent. Explain procedure at age-appropriate level and obtain correct specimens for tests ordered according to established procedure. Properly label and package specimens and supporting documentation for transport to the lab. Align daily work with individual, section, departmental and organizational goals and objectives
- Patient Testing Responsibilities: Perform waived or moderately complex testing to obtain and record results for laboratory tests according to established procedures within established TAT as delegated by the Chief of Pathology. Recognize and document normal, abnormal, critical test results. Operate and perform daily preventive maintenance of equipment according to written procedures and documents; report equipment malfunctions and request service as necessary. Communicate with physicians, nurses or other requestors by telephone, computer or other method that ensure confidentiality. Maintain all clinical competencies required in section and perform in accordance with laboratory policy to provide accurate test results, slides, photographs and / or documents.
- Regulatory, Quality and Process Improvement Responsibilities: Understand and adhere to Lean principles and process such as standard work and maintaining 5S concept in work area realizing that all processes are driven by the needs of the customer. Maintain inspection readiness; demonstrate knowledge and ownership of current inspection requirements for all applicable regulatory and accrediting agencies relating to area of responsibility. Participate in tracers, mock inspections, regulatory reviews and Quality Assurance meetings as required. Look for, initiate and / or participate in quality improvement opportunities with the same level of importance as performing quality technical work.
- Actively participate in inventory control and supply chain operations. Look for, initiate and/or participate in quality improvement opportunities with the same level of importance as performing quality technical work. Promote teamwork and cooperation through helpful, courteous, and positive interactions with colleagues. Promote a trusting and secure work environment through supportive, dependable interactions. Take ownership of performance and PEAC process by understanding lab goals and objectives and aligning individual performance with hospital and lab goals and objectives. Using an awareness of how the work performed is valued by the customer, perform duties, make decisions, take actions and continually strive to improve work processes.
- Specimen Transport Responsibilities: If assigned to work at facility other than Dallas, may be required to transport specimens to Dallas campus for testing.
- Distribute POCT supplies.
- Assist with Point-of-Care testing needs.
- Perform clerical responsibilities and other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Direct - Indicates that the person in the position directly provides care, treatment or services to the patient. Ex: Nurses, Physical/Occupational Therapists, RCPs,
- Minimum 2 years of related experience preferred
- Experience in pediatric phlebotomy preferred
- Lab experience performing testing and troubleshooting preferred
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
Licenses and Certifications:
- Certified Phlebotomist, Certified Medical Assistant, EMT or equivalent within six months of hire required
- Light - Exerting up to 20 lbs. occasionally, 10 lbs. frequently, or negligible amounts constantly and may require walking or standing to a significant degree.