Under the direct supervision of the Pharmacy Technician III and Pharmacist, this job is responsible for preparing unit dose medications, compounds, sterile IV admixtures and TPN solutions, for filling unit dose patient cassette units, for computer order entry and for providing technical support as needed. This is an in-patient pharmacy, central operations technician position.
The position is at our Dallas main campus and the schedule is 4 days on, 3 days off during the day shift of 7am - 5:30pm, working every other weekend.
- Applies basic technical skills and knowledge of operational processes to perform straightforward and routine activities
- Understands how the assigned duties integrate with others in the team
- Depends on direct supervision to accomplish assigned tasks; accountable for developing own self to enhance contribution
- Uses standard operating procedures to guide own work and solve standard problems; escalates unfamiliar or difficult problems to more experienced colleagues
- Responsible for the accuracy of own work
- Works within clearly defined standard operating procedures or methods and adheres to established quality guidelines
- Recognizes opportunities to provide good customer service and demonstrates courtesy in all interactions; effectively exchanges straightforward information.
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Prepare drug products for checking and dispensing by pharmacist, preparation includes selecting and preparing unit dose medication, compounding, repackaging and drawing up patient-specific doses; assure accuracy of the preparation for checking by pharmacist; maintain professional / ethical standards by complying with laws and regulations related to pharmacy practice, using good professional judgment, exhibiting reliability and credibility, demonstrating empathy for patients and maintaining confidentiality; complete required documentation and prepares medications for IV and cartfill needs.
- Answer department telephones and assist pharmacist with responding to inquiries.
- Perform computer entry for missing doses, patient charge and credits and other documentation.
- Deliver or restock medications; deliver pharmacist code box; assist in maintaining overall cleanliness and organization of work areas as well as maintaining a continuous level of readiness for inspection by external groups; perform other duties and special projects as required.
- Competent and proficient in all operational area(s) specific to job responsibilities. Capable of performing multiple discipline(s) in assigned area(s).
- Indirect - Indicates that the person in the position is responsible for a product (including information) or service that is involved in the patient’s course of care, treatment or service.
- 1 - 3 years of previous experience preferred
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- One-year Vocational / Technical School degree preferred
Licenses and Certifications:
- Certification as a Pharmacy Technician by the Texas State Board of Pharmacy Registration required
- Maintenance of CPhT preferred
- IV Certification required
- Chemotherapy Certification preferred
- Light - Exerting up to 20 lbs. occasionally, 10 lbs. frequently, or negligible amounts constantly and may require walking or standing to a significant degree.