This position is part-time only.
The incumbent in this position is a senior clinician who is responsible for planning and implementing specific treatment programs for individual patients according to the principles and practices of Occupational Therapy and collaborating with an interdisciplinary treatment team. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Children’s Health philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Requires in-depth professional knowledge and practical/applied expertise in own discipline and basic knowledge of related disciplines within the broader professional field
- Has knowledge of best practices and how own area integrates with others; demonstrates awareness of the industry, including regulatory, evolving customer demands, and the factors that differentiate the organization in the market
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead projects with manageable risks and resource requirements
- Solves complex problems and takes a new perspective on existing solutions; exercises judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information
- Impacts a range of customer, operational, project or service activities within own team and other related teams; works within broad guidelines and policies
- Works independently, receives minimal guidance
- Explains difficult or sensitive information; works to build consensus
- Provide direct Occupational Therapy services to patients in accordance with standards of practice; independently select reliable and valid assessment tools relevant to diagnosis, functional limitation and patient history; demonstrate progression of treatment plan and implementation of appropriate therapeutic interventions; report on patient progress through appropriate written documentation including evaluations forms, progress notes, education forms; collaborate with physicians, patients, family, and other members of health care team relative to patient treatment and progress as well as other affiliated agencies with regard to effective discharge planning; use unscheduled time to flex to other work areas for patient treatment.
- Serve as a preceptor and act as a mentor for new staff therapists, students and rehabilitation aides; train in specialized assessment tools, advanced treatment techniques and/or specialized treatments; plan, implement and coordinate educational programs (including student programs) within assigned area
- Assist in developing, interpreting, and reviewing policies and procedures of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation department; demonstrate active participation in the department's quality assessment and improvement strategies.
- Ability to meet physical and non-physical demands as outlined in the job description
- Assume other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area
- Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, required
- Graduate or professional work or advanced degree; or equivalent experience, preferred
Licenses & certifications
- License to practice Occupational Therapy in the state of Texas, required
- Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR/BLS Certification, required
- Minimum 3-5 years or more of previous Occupational Therapy experience, required
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Heavy - Exerting 60-100 lbs. occasionally, 25-60 lbs. frequently, or up to 10-20 constantly.