This position is PRN only.
This job is responsible for ensuring the integrity and acceptability of specimens for testing by collecting specimens according to all established procedures and regulatory requirements while providing the best experience to the patient and parents. Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to ensure consistent use of Lean principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet and establish rapport with patient and/or parents
- Explain procedure at age-appropriate level and obtain correct specimens for tests ordered according to established procedure
- Properly label and package specimens and supporting documentation for transport to the lab
- Align daily work with individual, section, departmental and organizational goals and objectives
- Understand and adhere to Lean principles and process such as standard work and maintaining 5S concept in work area realizing that all processes are driven by the needs of the customer
- Operate and perform daily preventive maintenance of equipment according to written procedures and documents; report equipment malfunctions and request service as necessary
- Communicate with physicians, nurses, or other requestors by telephone, computer or other method that ensure confidentiality
- Actively participate in inventory control and supply chain operations
- Look for, initiate and/or participate in quality improvement opportunities with the same level of importance as performing quality technical work
- Promote teamwork and cooperation through helpful, courteous, and positive interactions with colleagues
- Promote a trusting and secure work environment through supportive, dependable interactions
- Take ownership of performance and PEAC process by understanding lab goals and objectives and aligning individual performance with hospital and lab goals and objectives
- Using an awareness of how the work performed is valued by the customer, perform duties, make decisions, take actions and continually strive to improve work processes
- Maintain inspection readiness. Demonstrate knowledge and ownership of current inspection requirements for all applicable regulatory and accrediting agencies relating to area of responsibility. Participate in tracers, mock inspections, regulatory reviews and Quality Assurance meetings as required
- Attend and participate in shift stand up meetings, staff meetings and Laboratory Town Hall meetings
- Share knowledge and provide instructions to new employees, students, and other staff
- Pursue continuing education
- Perform other duties and special projects as requested
- Read and adhere to all laboratory policies and procedures pertaining to section and document understanding of such.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
Licenses & certifications
- Must be a Certified Phlebotomist, Certified Medical Assistant or certification eligible. Must acquire the certification within 6 months of hire date
- No experience is required; however, one to two years of previous related experience is preferred.
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- The ability to hear and communicate with others in a clear, understandable, and professional manner on the phone and in person; and the demonstrated use of good verbal communication skills.
- The ability to interact effectively with peers, nurses, physicians, vendors and other customers in a manner that represents Children's positively.
- Effective organizational skills and attention to detail; effective follow-through, and commitment to excellence.
- Significant portions of daily assignment involve prolonged standing, transporting material, equipment, patients, or lifting, moving or carrying heavy materials (check one: 10 lbs. or more but less than 20 lbs. ___, 20 lbs. or more but less than 30 lbs.____, 30 lbs.___, 31 lbs. or more ____) for intermittent periods throughout the day.