The incumbent in this position is a first line supervisor who participates in and facilitates the management of the operational and personnel activities of the department. They are responsible for assisting with the management of the department’s daily operation by supervising and coordinating the clinical aspects of Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and/or Speech/Language Pathology services, and for providing clinical services and education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides direct therapy services (Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy or Speech/Language Pathology) to patients in accordance with the standards of practice of the department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Assist in the management of the day-to-day operations of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation services as delegated by the Clinical Manager; responsible for ensuring that individual therapists meet productivity standards on a weekly basis and overseeing the coordination of patient caseloads for individual therapists
- Assist in and perform personnel management functions for the designated area including, but not limited to; interviewing, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and evaluating employees as delegated by or with the Clinical Manager or Director’s approval
- Plan, provide and evaluate orientation, training and continuing education programs or other opportunities for learning as delegated for their designated area, department or other Hospital staff; ensure staff conformity with Hospital and regulatory agency conformity; and serve as mentor to Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation staff and students in designated area
- Ability to meet physical and non-physical demands as outlined in the job description is an essential function of the job
- Assist in developing, interpreting, and reviewing policies and procedures of the Department; participate in monitoring and controlling assigned operational and capital budgets within administrative guidelines as delegated by Clinical Manager and Director
- Assume other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area
Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, required.
Graduate or professional work or advanced degree; or equivalent experience, preferred.
Three to four years of previous Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy or Speech/Language Pathology experience, required.
Four to five years of experience, preferred.
One year of supervisory experience, preferred.
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Provide feedback, instruction, and development guidance to help others excel in their current or future job responsibilities; plan and support the development of individual skills and abilities.
Licenses & Certifications
License to practice Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy or Speech/Language Pathology in the state of Texas, required.
For SLP, Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology, required.
Current Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support certification, required.
Very Heavy - Exerting over 100 lbs. occasionally, 60-100 lbs. frequently, or up to 20-50 lbs. constantly.