This position is Mon-Fri, 3:00pm-11:30pm w/ alternating weekends and holidays.
This job is responsible for the manipulation of laboratory specimens and/or blood and blood components, including specimen identification and acceptability verification, processing, packaging and storage, performing waived or moderately complex testing and reporting results, customer service duties including interactions via telephone and in person, and post-analytic functions that may include specimen retrieval or storage, manual charging or charge reconciliation, and other clerical duties. Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to ensure consistent use of Lean principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Verify specimen and/or blood or blood component identification and acceptability and process laboratory specimens according to laboratory procedures and standard work
- Perform waived or moderately complex testing to obtain and record results for laboratory tests according to established procedures within established TAT as delegated by the Chief of Pathology
- Maintain all competencies required in section and perform duties in accordance with laboratory policy and as delegated by the Chief of Pathology
- Understand and adhere to Lean principles and process such as standard work and maintaining 5S concept in work area realizing that all processes are driven by the needs of the customer
- Align daily work with individual, section, departmental and organizational goals and objectives
- Answer telephone calls and respond to customer service requests with professionalism and the highest degree of courtesy and responsiveness
- Research and resolve issues with follow up to customer
- Perform various clerical duties that may include manual billing, faxing, filing and copying
- Perform preventive maintenance of equipment and maintenance of specimen storage systems
- Using an awareness of how the work performed is valued by the customer, perform duties, make decisions, take actions and continually strive to improve work processes
- Maintain inspection readiness. Demonstrate knowledge and ownership of current inspection requirements for all applicable regulatory and accrediting agencies relating to area of responsibility. Participate in tracers, mock inspections, regulatory reviews and Quality Assurance meetings as required
- Attend and participate in shift stand up meetings, staff meetings and Laboratory Town Hall meetings
- Share knowledge and provide instructions to new employees, students, technologists, technicians and other staff
- Pursue continuing education
- Perform other duties and special projects as requested
- Read and adhere to all laboratory policies and procedures pertaining to section and document understanding of such.
- Actively participate in inventory control and supply chain operations through application of Lean principles
- Look for, initiate and/or participate in quality improvement opportunities with the same level of importance as performing quality technical work
- Promote teamwork and cooperation by through helpful, courteous, and positive interactions with colleagues
- Promote a trusting and secure work environment through supportive, dependable interactions
- Take ownership of performance and PEAC process by understanding lab goals and objectives and aligning individual activities with hospital and lab goals and objectives
- Perform waived and/or donor testing, instrument maintenance and loading according to established laboratory procedures
- Must have High School diploma and one to two years of previous lab related experience is preferred
Licenses & certifications
- Customer service training and experience is preferred.
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- The ability to communicate with others in a clear, understandable, and professional manner on the telephone and in person.
- The ability to interact effectively with external and internal customers.
- The ability to multi-task effectively, to establish appropriate priorities, to recognize and do what needs to be done without direction and supports teamwork and cooperation with co-workers.
- Effective organization skills, attention to details, and consistent follow-through with a commitment to excellence.
- The ability to train and educate new personnel and students.
- Significant portions of daily assignment involve prolonged standing, transporting material, equipment, patients, or lifting, moving or carrying heavy materials (check one: 10 lbs. or more but less than 20 lbs. _X__, 20 lbs. or more but less than 30 lbs.____, 30 lbs.___, 31 lbs. or more ____) for intermittent periods throughout the day.