The incumbent in this position develops, administers, and maintains the day-to-day operations of the Family Resource Library.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide reference services to patients and their families by assisting them with the selection of appropriate materials that will address their health information needs.
- Utilize and develop web resources effectively to optimize the acquisition and dissemination of appropriate information; ensure cost-effective operation of the Library through budget planning, monitoring, and controlling expenses.
- Select, evaluate, and maintain consumer-oriented books, journals, pamphlets, videotapes, audio tapes, and computer software that will address the health information needs of patients and their families.
- Collaborate with healthcare (physicians, nurses) and other hospital professionals (Child Life, Social Work) in planning, implementing, marketing, and evaluating Library programs and services.
- Participate in the creation of materials supporting the patient education mission of Children’s Medical Center (ie. newsletters, patient handouts, etc.).
- Coordinate, train, and supervise volunteer staff.
- Ability to meet physical and non-physical demands as outlined in the job description is an essential function of the job.
- Actively pursue professional growth through continuing education and by maintaining institutional and professional memberships in relevant professional organizations.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Graduate or professional work or advanced degree; or equivalent experience.
- Master's degree in Library or Information Science from a program accredited by the American Library Association.
Licenses & certifications
- Two years of experience in a professional library position, preferably in healthcare.
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Must possess physical and emotional health adequate for attendance requirements and job performance.
- Must possess the ability to communicate with others in a clear, understandable, and professional manner; demonstrated use of expert communication skills.
- Must be flexible and adaptable to change; may be required to work under stressful conditions.
- Must possess the ability to identify current needs, anticipate future needs and establish goals that support Children's mission.
- Must possess the ability to identify, evaluate, acquire, organize, and disseminate health information for patients and their families.
- Must have demonstrated skill in information retrieval from various formats and sources including print and electronic.
- Must possess the ability to plan, budget, and manage Library programs and services.
- Must possess sensitivity to cultural diversity, differing needs, and varying styles of coping while providing a service to families under tremendous stress.
- Must possess the ability to maintain regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
- Must possess the ability to learn and apply new information, knowledge and experiences in a timely manner.
- Medium - Exerting 20-60 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. frequently, or up to 10 lbs. constantly.