This position is PRN.
This job is responsible for ensuring the integrity and acceptability of specimens for testing and/or blood or blood components, performing laboratory tests, reporting test results, communicating critical values, differentiating and resolving technical, instrument, physiologic causes of problems or unexpected test results, and/or completing equipment maintenance and quality control functions. Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to ensure consistent use of Lean principles and processes and continuous process improvement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Determine acceptability of specimens and/or blood or blood components, perform laboratory tests and communicate critical results in accordance with laboratory policy for assigned section or shift and/or obtain and record results for laboratory tests according to established procedures within established TAT as delegated by the Chief of Pathology.
• Recognizes normal, abnormal, critical test results. Differentiates and resolves instrument and/or unexpected test results
• Understand and adhere to Lean principles and processes , for example, following standard work and maintaining 5S concept in work area realizing that all processes are driven by the needs of the customer.
• Initiate, perform, review and troubleshoot quality control of reagents and test systems.
• Maintain all clinical competencies required in section and perform in accordance with laboratory policy to provide accurate test results, slides, photographs and/or documents.
• Operate and perform daily preventive maintenance of equipment according to written procedures and documents; report equipment malfunctions and request service as necessary.
• Communicate with physicians, nurses, or other requestors by telephone, computer or other method that ensure confidentiality.
• Actively participate in inventory control and supply chain operations through application of Lean principles.
• Look for, initiate and/or participate in quality improvement opportunities. Actively look for ways to improve standard work processes and share insights to that end with team member, team leaders, and group leaders with the same level of importance as performing quality technical work.
• Promote teamwork and cooperation through helpful, courteous, and positive interactions with colleagues
• Promote a trusting and secure work environment .through supportive, dependable interactions
• Take ownership of performance and PEAC process by understanding lab goals and objectives and aligning individual activities and performance with hospital and lab goals and objectives.
• Using an awareness of how the work performed is valued by the customer, perform duties, make decisions, take actions and continually strive to improve work processes.
• Share knowledge and provide instructions to new employees, students, other technologists, technicians and other staff.
• Pursue continuing education.
• Perform other duties and special projects as requested.
• Read and adhere to all laboratory policies and procedures pertaining to section and document understanding of such.
Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, required.
1-2 years of job related experience, preferred.
Bachelor degree in Medical Technology, or a science discipline is required, consistent with Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) requirements. It is acceptable to offer a position to a degree-eligible student who has successfully completed the didactic and clinical portions of the degree and is awaiting the graduation ceremony for conferring of the degree, required.
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
Licenses & Certifications
• Must be certified or certification eligible in medical technology with acquisition of certification within 6 months of hire, or have special competence in a specific discipline germane to the position, as determined by the Chief of Pathology, required.
• Individuals possessing a bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline other than medical technology (such as biology or chemistry) and who are performing in a specialized area of medical technology (such as molecular testing) and who are seeking categorical certification in this targeted area will have 12 months to complete their certification. Extensions beyond 6 months can be approved by the Chief of Pathology provided competence in patient testing activities is documented in compliance with CLIA, required.
Light - Exerting up to 20 lbs. occasionally, 10 lbs. frequently, or negligible amounts constantly and may require walking or standing to a significant degree.
and leadership within the Home Care team. They are neither micromanagers nor unreachable. I have the opportunity to work with experienced therapists and help newer therapists become more skilled and confident as they hone their knowledge.