Enhance the organization’s community relations by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with key community stakeholders and local elected officials to enhance and advance the organization’s mission; supervise and manage the CHIP/Medicaid application efforts for the CHST Corporate Services Division.
- Typically manages professional staff and/or team leaders over multiple teams
- Typical span of control: Administrative 8-10, Clinical 10-13, Support Services 11-13; e.g. Admin: Fin, IT, Legal, HR, Public Affairs; Support Services: EVS, Security, Engineering, Food Services.
- Accountable for the performance and results of a team or multiple teams within own discipline
- Adapts unit plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges
- Provides guidance, coaching, and feedback to team leaders on effective management techniques
- Makes employment decisions for the team, seeking direction from more senior leaders on more complex situations
- Decisions are guided by policies, procedures, and functional priorities; receives guidance from a higher-level manager on high-impact decisions
- Monitors quality metrics and changes in practice that impact clinical, financial, or operational outcomes and develops action plans to address areas for improvement
- Provides guidance to others as needed for non-routine and/or complex problems/situations
- Monitors and manages a budget for defined area of responsibility
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Establish and enhance effective relationships with chambers of commerce, business associations, community stakeholders and community-based coalitions; identify and execute opportunities to advance CHST’s mission and goals within these organizations
- Establish and enhance effective relationships with city and county elected officials, their staffs and relevant committees, working groups and programs
- Develop and implement an ongoing community relations plan that will leverage CHST’s assets and expertise in coordination with CHST Government Relations and the CHST Health & Wellness Alliance to advance the organization’s mission and goals with community organizations and local elected officials
- Work successfully with various communities, organizations and neighborhoods in serving diverse populations, cultures, groups and individuals to advance CHST’s mission and ensure CHST is meeting community needs
- Collaborate with Government Relations staff to schedule visits by elected and appointed local government officials and other community VIPs, as well as provide CHST leaders with opportunities to interact with key community and local government decision makers
- Manage community relations Medicaid/CHIP Outreach Representatives; monitor their engagement in the communities they serve and assess relationships with key community stakeholders. Assist and support Outreach Representatives in organizing, promoting and conducting Medicaid/CHIP registration events and activities
- Manage and monitor the Community Relations budget to ensure funds are spent efficiently and expended on effective community outreach efforts and projects
- Demonstrate exceptional verbal, written and active communication ability, including developing and delivering compelling and persuasive speaking and presentation abilities. Must also be an active and engaged listener.
- Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal relationship expertise, and the ability to interact effectively and respectfully with diverse individuals, groups and organizations. Apply superior logic and reasoning to evaluate situations, address challenges and solve problems with appropriate solutions.
- At least five years’ experience in a legislative, local government, health care policy or business association environment required
- At least one year of management experience required
- Experience in public speaking, writing for publications, and strategic planning preferred
- Experience in working effectively with local, state, and federal elected and appointed government officials preferred
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Provide feedback, instruction, and development guidance to help others excel in their current or future job responsibilities; plan and support the development of individual skills and abilities.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
- Graduate or professional work or advanced degree; or equivalent experience preferred