This job is responsible for the manipulation of laboratory specimens and/or blood and blood components, including specimen identification and acceptability verification, processing, packaging and storage, performing waived or moderately complex testing and reporting results, customer service duties including interactions via telephone and in person, and post-analytic functions that may include specimen retrieval or storage, manual charging or charge reconciliation, and other clerical duties. Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to ensure consistent use of Lean principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Verify specimen and/or blood or blood component identification and acceptability and process laboratory specimens according to laboratory procedures and standard work.
- Perform waived or moderately complex testing to obtain and record results for laboratory tests according to established procedures within established TAT as delegated by the Chief of Pathology.
- Maintain all competencies required in section and perform duties in accordance with laboratory policy and as delegated by the Chief of Pathology.
- Understand and adhere to Lean principles and process such as standard work and maintaining 5S concept in work area realizing that all processes are driven by the needs of the customer. Align daily work with individual, section, departmental and organizational goals and objectives.
- Answer telephone calls and respond to customer service requests with professionalism and the highest degree of courtesy and responsiveness. Research and resolve issues with follow up to customer.
- Perform various clerical duties that may include manual billing, faxing, filing and copying.
- Perform preventive maintenance of equipment and maintenance of specimen storage systems.
- Using an awareness of how the work is performed is valued by the customer, perform duties, make decisions, take actions and continually strive to improve work processes.
- Actively participate in inventory control and supply chain operations through application of Lean principles.
- Look for, initiate and / or participate in quality improvement opportunities with the same level of importance as performing quality technical work.
- Promote teamwork and cooperation by through helpful, courteous and positive interactions with colleagues. Promote a trusting and secure work environment through supportive, dependable interactions.
- Take ownership of performance and PEAC process by understanding lab goals and objectives and aligning individual activities with hospital and lab goals and objectives.
- Share knowledge and provide instructions to new employees, students, technologists, technicians and other staff. Pursue continuing education.
- Perform other duties and special projects as requested.
- Read and adhere to all laboratory policies and procedures pertaining to section and document understanding of such. Maintain inspection readiness. Demonstrate knowledge and ownership of current inspection requirements for all applicable regulatory and accrediting agencies relating to area of responsibility.
- Participate in tracers, mock inspections, regulatory reviews and Quality Assurance meetings as required. Attend and participate in shift stand up meetings, staff meetings and Laboratory Town Hall meetings.
- Share knowledge and provide instructions to new employees, students, technologists, technicians and other staff. Pursue continuing education. Perform other duties and special projects as requested / required. Read and adhere to all laboratory policies and procedures pertaining to section and document.
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Light - Exerting up to 20 lbs. occasionally, 10 lbs. frequently, or negligible amounts constantly and may require walking or standing to a significant degree.