Reads, understands and interprets blueprints, drawings, floor plans, schedules and manufacturer's operating and/or maintenance specifications as they relate to electrical, mechanical, plumbing, HVAC and special equipment, building structures and finishes. Maintains and perform repairs, modifications, replacement and installations on a wide variety of plumbing systems and equipment. Performs routine and preventive maintenance to include: operating, cleaning, inspecting, troubleshooting, adjusting, tightening, replacing, lubricating, reporting problems, and other similar tasks on a wide variety of plumbing systems and equipment. May be called upon to perform the work of other maintenance personnel or to assist in the completion of their work to include Senior Plant Operators, Operating Engineers, Senior Maintenance Mechanics, Maintenance Mechanics, Technicians, General Mechanics, Plumbers, Carpenters, Sheet Metal Workers, Masons, Plasterers, Painters, and others. Responds to requests for maintenance and service from building occupants to include: emergencies, maintenance problems, requested installations, modifications, repairs and adjustments and other similar tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains and performs repairs, modifications, replacements and installations of Domestic Hot and Cold Water Systems to include pumps, piping, valves, dietary equipment, rest room fixtures, filters, water treatment equipment, etc.; HVAC Hot and Chilled Water Components to include coils, boilers, hot and chilled water piping, valves, etc.; and Waste Removal Systems to include grease traps, piping, sewage processing equipment, sanitary drain lines, traps, sewage ejectors, bed pan washers, and other similar type equipment
- Maintains and performs repairs, modifications, replacements and installations of steam and other systems to include traps, piping, valves, heat exchangers, condensate return systems, flash tanks, boilers, laundry equipment, and other similar equipment.
- Maintains and performs repairs, modifications, replacements and installations of life safety systems and specialized medical and research equipment to include fire protection systems, medical gas lines, autoclaves, sterilizers, vacuum systems, and other similar equipment.
- Responds to requests for maintenance and service from building occupants to include: emergencies, maintenance problems, requested installations, modifications, repairs and adjustments and other similar tasks.
- Reacts to emergencies and serve as a one person department during evenings and weekends.
- Performs maintenance and repairs on all hospital electrical equipment and distribution systems including high voltage (13.2 KV) systems and equipment.
- Repairs and maintains hospital electromechanical equipment, i.e., refrigerators, sterilizers, ice machines, kitchen appliances, range / stove / cookers, electric beds, carts / tables / poles, hanging fixtures, light fixtures, and plumbing systems.
- Repairs and maintains automatic doors and locks.
- Repairs and maintains complex systems including normal and emergency electrical power systems, fire alarm and sprinkler systems, nurse-call, pneumatic tube systems, etc.
- Troubleshoots, repairs and perform maintenance on electrical circuits and equipment including electrical panels, starters, controls, lamps and fixtures.
- Installs electrical circuits and electrical fixtures.
- Inspects patient and public areas around the hospital for environmental safety.
- Accomplishes and documents preventive maintenance.
- Assembles and installs new furniture, fixtures and equipment.
- Orders stock and maintains repair parts inventory.
- All the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position of Maintenance Mechanic or General Mechanic.
- Performs the duties and responsibilities of other positions within the Engineering/Facilities Department as skills and experience permit.
- High school diploma or the equivalent required; additional training beyond high school, required
Licenses & certifications
- Journeyman Plumber's license, required
- Master Plumber, preferred
- 4-5 years related experience, required
Specific knowledge, skills and abilities
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Heavy - Exerting 60-100 lbs. occasionally, 25-60 lbs. frequently, or up to 10-20 constantly.