The purpose of this position is to strengthen Children's government relations department and enhance Children's public policy capabilities by following legislative and public policy trends, conducting public policy research and developing collateral materials that advance the organization’s mission.
- Requires experience in own professional discipline to appropriately apply own knowledge; broadens own professional expertise and acquires higher level skills
- Understands key business drivers; uses this understanding to accomplish own work
- No supervisory responsibilities but may provide informal guidance to new team members
- Solves problems in straightforward situations; analyzes possible solutions using professional/technical experience, judgment and precedents
- Impacts quality of own work and the work of others on the team; works within guidelines and policies
- Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction
- Explains complex information to others in straightforward situations
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Monitor political news, think tank studies and government reports, and produce a daily public policy report for Senior Leaders. Based on collected material, identify opportunities to protect the organization's interests and promote the organization's goals and report out to VP Government Relations.
- Support the government relations department and the needs of Senior Leadership Team members by preparing testimony, presentations, white papers, policy projects and reports -- as well as respond to internal requests for public policy information.
- Assist with coordination of outreach to community groups and stakeholders. Represent Children’s in various settings, including public functions, conferences, and, as appropriate, legislative hearings and meetings.
- Manage and organize CHST tour and visit requests, and assist in the development, planning and execution of thoughtful customer-oriented experiences that meet the needs of CHST visitors while promoting CHST's key messages.
- Assist the department with development of key messages, presentations, talking points and fact sheets, including the development of district-specific fact sheets for each federal, state and local district.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Government Relations.
- At least 2 years of related experience in a legislative office, government relations department, or similar required
- Corporate communications or community-relations experience; governance experience preferred
- Communications experience preferred
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
- Sedentary - Exerting up to 10lbs. occasionally or negligible weights frequently; sitting most of the time.