The incumbent in this position monitors heart rhythm patterns of patients to detect abnormal pattern variances, using telemetry equipment: Reviews patient information to determine normal heart rhythm pattern, current pattern, and prior variances. This position also observes screen of cardiac monitor, listens for alarm to identify abnormal variation in heart rhythm, monitors and listens for alarms to identify an acute change in oxygen saturations, and informs supervisor or nurse of variances to initiate examination of patient.
- Through experience, has developed technical knowledge and skills to perform a variety of routine activities.
- Understands how own duties relate to others in the team and has an awareness of how the team integrates with others.
- Manages own workload by applying an understanding of team priorities; may provide assistance to less experienced colleagues.
- Recognizes and solves typical problems that can occur in own work area; evaluates and selects predefined solutions from established operating procedures.
- Impacts the performance of own team through the quality of the services or information provided.
- Follows standardized procedures and practices and receives regular but moderate supervision and guidance.
- Communicates moderately complex technical information in straightforward situations.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor heart rhythm pattern of patients and discern normal from abnormal heart rhythm disturbances, technically savvy and comfortable operating and troubleshooting telemetry equipment; 24-7 surveillance of cardiac monitor, ability to react/respond to alarm monitors and communicate/inform supervisor or nurse of rhythm concerns to initiate examination of the patient; measure cardiac intervals and report/record them on graphic trend readout, posts information on patient records. Monitor oxygen saturations and notify supervisor or nurse of variances based on provided orders. Provide physicians with updates on patients heart rhythm and oxygen saturations as requested.
- Operate/troubleshoot equipment used for basic job functions; assist with care and maintenance of equipment and supplies as needed; and perform other duties and special projects as required.
- Perform diagnostic procedures and clerical responsibilities, including: electrocardiogram, arrhythmia monitoring, and stress tests.
- EKG/telemetry experience, required.
- Successful completion of Children's cardiac arrhythmia course, passing grade on EKG test and demonstrated competency in rhythm analysis within 30 days of hire, required.
- High school diploma or equivalent, required.
- Two-year Associate's degree or equivalent experience, required.
- Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, preferred.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS:
- CPR/BLS for healthcare provider, required.
- ACSM certification, preferred.
- Medium - Exerting 20-60 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. frequently, or up to 10 lbs. constantly.