Position Summary – Executive Assistant – Children’s Research Institute at UT Southwestern
This job is primarily responsible for performing advanced, diversified and confidential secretarial and administrative duties requiring broad and comprehensive experience, skill and knowledge of organization policies and practices in support of the Director of the Research Institute and their staff. The Children's Institute is a joint partnership between Children's Health and the University of Texas Southwestern.
The Executive Assistant must be able to independently and accurately organize the Director's schedule, complete administrative tasks related to the Director's laboratory and Children’s Research Institute, and effectively interface with the public, and with other administrators from within the Institute and around the University as well as with members of the Children's Medical Center leadership team. This person must contribute to the efficient use of the Director's time, and help to ensure that the Director's laboratory and the Institute are well run.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain the professional and personal calendar for the Director. Schedule appointments and meetings with lab staff, University faculty, students, media, external professionals and administration. Coordinate travel for the Director and laboratory staff. Prepare expense reports and maintain detailed expense records.
- Coordinate with development and communications staff to help organize VIP visits/meetings and Institute events.
- Liaise with key VIPs, senior leadership and faculty and professionally represent Children’s Research Institute.
- Organize searches for faculty candidates; coordinate the scheduling and logistics for faculty candidate and post-doctoral fellows interviews. Assist with the on-boarding of new laboratory employees.
- Prepare correspondence and reports requiring some understanding of technical matters; respond to routine and non-routine inquiries using standardized policies and procedures. Update and maintain documents pertaining to the laboratory including travel and lab meeting schedules.
- Responsible for administrative aspects of personnel management for Children’s Research Institute which may include job postings, applicant management, visa applications, and ensuring correct payroll funding sources.
- Provide administrative support for grants.
- Performs other administrative duties and special projects as required in support of the executive.
- Bachelors degree required with strong academic performance
- Minimum of five to seven years of administrative, project management or other relevant experience
- Experience supporting executive level individuals in a fast-paced, highly complex environment - experience in an academic or clinical research environment is helpful.
Specific knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge and experience in using personal computers and Microsoft Windows, as well as experience working in a complex PC network environment. Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Knowledge and experience with budgets and maintaining financial records.
- The ability to multi-task and successfully work in a busy and active environment.
- The ability to hear and communicate with others in a clear, understandable, and professional manner on the phone and in person.
- The ability to interact effectively with peers, executive and medical staff, vendors and other customers in a manner that represents Children's Research Institute positively.
- The ability to work on multiple projects and to establish appropriate priorities.
- The ability to recognize and safeguard confidential information.