This job is responsible for providing nutritional education on special diets, assisting needs, communicating processes, taking and processing meal orders, and documenting and filing necessary paper work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Attain and file patient pattern/ preference cards, diet orders, data/ documentation forms, meal rounds, and other necessary forms
- Complete at least 7% of total daily patient census by visiting patients and asking questions about quality of food, temperature of food, and answer any other questions family or patient has.
- Answer incoming telephone calls, provide suggestions for foods appropriate to patient's diet, take messages, contact dietitian for special approval of diet request. Assist parents in ordering guest trays and provide knowledge for families/ clinical staff on therapeutic diets. Running trays to patients.
- Assist in carbohydrate counting for diabetics meals. Input ready set snacks for diabetics as well as required snacks for other special diets.
- Able to make appropriate decisions for situations.
High school diploma or equivalent preferred
Minimum 1-2 years of job related experience
Specific knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Ability to learn and apply new information, knowledge and experiences in a timely manner.
- The ability to hear and communicate with others in a clear, understandable, and professional manner on the phone and in person; and the demonstrated use of good verbal communication skills
- The ability to interact effectively with peers, vendors, customers, and management team in a manner that represents Children's positively
- Effective organizational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge and experience using computers and software applications is preferred
- Knowledge and skills in nutrition and calculations of formula and numbers.
- The knowledge of diversity and respecting the religious, cultural differences of each patient according to their specific needs.
- Ability to learn medical terminology regarding diets, NPO status, and supplements.
- Ability to operate routine office equipment such as computers, mouse, scanners, printers, and fax.
- Ability to maintain regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of the job
- Ability to meet physical and non-physical demands as outlined in the job description is an essential function of the job
Heavy - Exerting 60-100 lbs. occasionally, 25-60 lbs. frequently, or up to 10-20 constantly.