This position is responsible for answering a high volume of phone calls in the room service call center. The diet operator assists the patient or parent in placing meal orders, provides nutritional guidance on special diets, documents, and files necessary paper work. This position requires the operator to guide the patient in making selections that fulfill diet meal goals.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answer all incoming phone calls, provide suggestions appropriate to patient diet, take messages, contact dietitian and or nurse for approvals as needed. Assist parents and or guests with the process of purchase and ordering of guest trays.
- Competent in > 40 diet plans in order to assist the patient with therapeutic diet meal ordering to ensure patient diet compliance with physician orders.
- Conduct meal rounds daily for all units (to include 7% of the total daily census)
- Assist patient with therapeutic diet meal ordering to ensure that personal goals or restrictions guidelines are followed and do not exceed maximum level allowed.
- Able to assist in making appropriate decisions for all situations and contact appropriate staff as needed. (Registered Dietitian, Registered Nurse, Manager, ect.)
- Navigate through multiple information systems simultaneously.
- Obtain and file all necessary documentation and other necessary forms.
- Conduct and gather information for patient satisfaction and nursing surveys.
- Deliver patient trays to rooms as needed.
- Perform other duties and special projects as needed.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of job related experience, preferred.
- Bilingual, preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent, preferred.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
LICENSES and CERTIFICATIONS:
- Obtain Food Handlers Certification within 30 days of hire, and maintain current status thereafter, required.
Medium - Exerting 20-60 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. frequently, or up to 10 lbs. constantly.