Responsible for internal communications initiatives within Children's Health. Creates, manages, and implements communications campaigns with the goal of enriching Children's Health communications with employees, physicians and contractors. Maintains strong relationships with key individuals throughout the organization. The communications specialist is self-motivated, eager to learn, passionate, people-oriented, intelligent and thoughtful and demonstrates the core values of Children's Health – Selfless Service, Passionate Advocacy, Commitment to Excellence and Unwavering Integrity.
- Requires experience in own professional discipline to appropriately apply own knowledge; broadens own professional expertise and acquires higher level skills
- Understands key business drivers; uses this understanding to accomplish own work
- No supervisory responsibilities but may provide informal guidance to new team members
- Solves problems in straightforward situations; analyzes possible solutions using professional/technical experience, judgment and precedents
- Impacts quality of own work and the work of others on the team; works within guidelines and policies
- Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction
- Explains complex information to others in straightforward situations
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Develop strategic communication plans for initiatives, issues and events with enterprise-wide scope and high complexity that affect employees and patient families.
- Effectively communicate organization’s mission/vision, key messages and positioning to achieve business objectives.
- Assess communication needs among employees and patient families throughout the organization. Interact with employees and evaluate communication effectiveness.
- Plan and direct internal communications programs designed to effectively communicate to 7,500 employees and contractors.
- Support consumer-experience communications and patient-facing communications.
- Create company literature and other forms of communication.
- Create communications and promotional materials, both print and electronic. Copyedit, proofread, and revise communications.
- Work with manager, team and business units to determine event budget and manage expenses to that budget.
- Develop communications campaigns. Create thought leadership materials.
- Develop fresh story ideas. Prepare briefing materials.
- Help to clarify the organization’s point of view to its main constituency, employees.
- 2-4 years related experience required
- 2-4 years previous work experience in internal, employee or corporate, non-profit or agency communications positions and excellent writing skills required
- In-house corporate communications experience preferred with understanding of organizational structure and supporting enterprise-wide communications for a variety of stakeholders
Non-Management Skills Knowledge and Abilities:
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Meet patient and patient family needs; take responsibility for a patient's safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; use appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
- Light - Exerting up to 20 lbs. occasionally, 10 lbs. frequently, or negligible amounts constantly and may require walking or standing to a significant degree.