Performs medical record coding and documentation audits for CHST-employed providers. Conducts coding education based on audit findings. Acts as the coding and documentation resource for CHST providers. Assists in developing action plans in response to identified coding and documentation issues.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- CODING AUDITING: Performs professional coding/billing audits and any follow up audits to assure appropriate and compliant professional coding and billing is maintained and assists in developing and implementing appropriate work plan if necessary. Performs audits based on the annual coding risk assessment and assists in developing and implementing appropriate work plan if necessary. Performs supplementary coding/billing audits as requested.
- CODING EDUCATION: Performs the initial professional coding and documentation training and orientation for APPs new CHST providers. Provides coding training and coaching based on audit results. Conducts coding and documentation training as requested by management, providers or service line staff. Acts as coding and documentation resource for management, providers and service line staff.
- POLICY AND PROCEDURE DEVELOPMENT AND SUPPORT: Assists in developing and revising policies and procedures for provider professional coding, documentation and billing to assure compliance with state and federal coding, billing and documentation regulatory requirements.
- Participates on committees or work groups .
Minimum 3-5 years of related experience required
At least three (3) years professional auditing and coding experience in a provider based setting required
Moderate to Advanced professional coding experience in more than one specialty (i.e., Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, Cardiology, ENT, etc.) preferred
Two-year Associate's degree or equivalent experience required
Four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive understanding of CPT, HCPCS and ICD-10 codes.
- Basic understanding of revenue process, managed care contracts, reimbursement and professional fee schedules.
- Familiar with federal and state billing guidelines
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
LICENSES and CERTIFICATIONS:
Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Coding Specialist - Professional (CCS-P) required
Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) preferred
Sedentary - Exerting up to 10lbs. occasionally or negligible weights frequently; sitting most of the time.