Children’s Health System of Texas is the leading pediatric health care system in North Texas, the seventh largest pediatric health care provider in the nation, and has the second-highest admission and pediatric Emergency Department volumes. A private, not-for-profit organization, Children’s Health is anchored by two full-service hospitals and encompasses a full range of pediatric health, wellness and acute care services for children from birth to age 18, including specialty care, primary care, home health, a pediatric research institute, and community outreach services, among other forms of health care delivery.
Children’s Health is expanding its Virtual Health division to continue maintain its leadership position as an innovative leader in pediatric healthcare. For example, imagine a solution that lets families be seen by their doctor any time, any place via their mobile device or computer. Imagine a mobile app that provides automated personalized clinical advice for chronically ill patients, alerting their doctor BEFORE an adverse advent occurs. These are just a few examples of how Virtual Health is implementing consumer-centric solutions that expand health care beyond the traditional health care setting.
Virtual Health is an established, critical function within the Children’s Health organization, helping change the healthcare landscape and how healthcare is delivered to consumers across the nation. Be part of a dynamic, fun-loving team of leaders who are passionate about our mission, “Making Life Better for Children” and who thrive on utilizing technology to improve outcomes.
At Children’s Health System of Texas, our 100+ year legacy is driven by our mission to make life better for children. What will your legacy be? Come join our talented, high-performing team, and be part of something special.
The Business Strategy and Outcomes Manager is the critical part of the Virtual Health & Innovation team and requires strong leadership, collaboration, and consultative skills, partnering with multiple Virtual Health team members, including Program Leaders, Program Managers, Evaluation, and Operations. This role ensures the Virtual Health portfolio aligns to Organizational Strategic Objectives and has clear operational and outcome goals, partnering with team members to add goal clarity when needed. This role also facilitates portfolio prioritization processes, given limited resources and competing priorities. The Business Outcomes and Strategy Managers also partners with leaders to cascade program goals to individual team member performance goals, overseeing the framework critical for alignment, accountability, and performance excellence. This role oversees portfolio performance reporting, escalating issues and risks to Virtual Health leadership as needed and also ensures reporting to the CEO, Children’s executive stakeholders, and other key stakeholders occurs in a timely fashion.
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Stay informed of and relay organizational strategic priorities and performance objectives.
- Oversee the Virtual Health new use case request processes, helping Program Managers define clear value proposition statements and program goals that align with organizational objectives.
- Given limited resources, monitor resource availability and facilitate Virtual health leadership discussions to prioritize new requests.
- Ensure operational and outcomes measures are clearly defined for priority programs, leveraging Virtual Health Evaluation & Performance Improvement team / Financial Manager as needed. Measures include process, technical, customer service, volume, satisfaction, health outcome, and/or financial performance measures.
- For select programs, support activities to create business plans / cases and respective Pro Forma’s / financial goals, ensuring plans are updated if environmental factors change (ex: annually, bi-annually).
- Provide education, templates, and consultative support to Program Managers to effectively report program performance, improving reporting processes as needed.
- Ensure portfolio reporting occurs in a timely manner, reviewing reports for quality and consistency to ensure status, next steps, risks and issues are clearly stated; monitor month to month performance, partnering with Program Managers to escalate risks and issues to Virtual Health leadership.
- Support leadership efforts to ensure portfolio goals align with department goals; ensure program goals effectively cascade to individual leadership and team member performance goals.
- Ensure Evaluation, Research, and Grants portfolio aligns with overarching Virtual Health Program Portfolio.
- Serve as Program Manager for one program, so to demonstrate best practices and identify opportunities to improve program management processes through hands-on experience.
- Proven track record in healthcare performance improvement or quality improvement: Served as project or Principle Investigator (PI) lead for multiple clinical performance or quality improvement projects with measurable improvements in outcomes (process, patient health, financial, etc.).
- Matrix environment: Experience overseeing task execution for individuals who report to other leaders, collaborating to identify and escalate barriers to performance. Strong experience building a sense of urgency and commitment to ensure rapid execution of tasks.
- Facilitating Group Consensus-Building: Experience facilitating individual and group discussions when differing opinions / priorities are present, identifying common goals and building consensus on next steps.
- Project Management and Execution: Strong experience in organizing and executing multiple, parallel projects (regardless of methodology used) to complete by target dates and according to defined scope / resources.
- Writing and Presentation Skills: Experience building and presenting presentations to clearly communicate complex concepts and drive support for project approval and/or recommended next steps, ideally presenting to executive audience.
- Strategic Planning: Experience documenting departmental strategic plans, demonstrating organizational alignment and converting abstract concepts to clear next steps.
- Required: Graduate or professional work or advanced degree in healthcare; or equivalent healthcare experience
- Preferred, but not required:
- LSS, Healthcare Quality Improvement, or equivalent certification (ex: IHI, AIHQ, etc.)
- Project Management Professional certification (PMP)
Competencies: Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interact with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
- Ensure that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; craft and implement service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs.
- Develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions; use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; take action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Take prompt action to accomplish objectives; take action to achieve goals beyond what is required; be proactive.
- Deal effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Effectively manage one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Accomplish tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Set high standards of performance for self and others; assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self impose standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Assimilate and apply new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Children’s is fully committed to providing equal employment opportunity in recruitment, employment, compensation, benefits, promotions, transfers, education and all other terms of employment.